1. Safety precautions
- You must wear goggles to protect your eyes.
- Gas cylinders should be used in a vertical position.
- Your clothes should not be oily or greasy. Oxygen can combine with oil or grease to cause an explosion.
- You should wear long sleeves so that you do not burn your arms.
- You should wear thick shoes so that you will not burn your feet.
- You should wear gloves so that the spark will not burn your hands.
- Allow the sparks to fall into a metal container so that they don’t burn the floor. There must be fire extinguishers in the workshop so that any fires can be extinguished immediately.
- After welding, turn off all valves so that no gases can escape.
- A face mask must be used or your face and eyes will not be protected.
- The workshop floor should be dry and clean so that it cannot conduct electricity.
- The floor should be made of concrete so that it cannot be burnt.
- Your clothes should be dry and clean so that they cannot conduct electricity.
- Overalls with long sleeves should be worn.
- Thick shoes should be worn to protect your feet.
- Welding gloves should be worn so that your hands are protected from sparks. Allow the spark to fall into a metal container so that they do not burn the floor.
- CO fire extinguishers should be provided in the workshop so that any electrical fires can be immediately extinguished.
- After welding, all switches must be turned off to prevent accidents.
English for Students of Mechanical Engineering
Compiler Galina Kubõškina
Layout by Ingrid Baumeister
Edited by Tallinn College of Engineering, 2005